About Me

My photo
Welcome My name is Tess. I'm a 9-5 New Yorker and traveler. My hobbies include destroying suitcases, photo-bombing tourists in Times Square, and taking long romantic ADHD walks around the globe. Welcome!

Apr 1, 2011

Protest Rhythm & Blues



The Rude Mechanical Orchestra gets sweaty in Times Square



  

Who doesn't love a marching band? 

 Being crammed into a dusty concert hall is not this orchestra's idea of a performance. With instruments in tow these self proclaimed anarchists trek from one needy organization to another providing background beats for feminist, queer, & labor rights protest groups to name a few.

And what radical or progressive group doesn't need a Balls to the wall marching band to turn an angry protest into a parade?
banging out hits like Beyonce's "Crazy in Love"  and  Salt N Pepa's "Push It" while they break dance and drop it like its hot - this is definitely not your ordinary chamber orchestra.
"We are New York's political protest band," says Matt, a tuba player for Rude Mechanical Orchestra. As their business card says, they pay homage to the revolutionary role that music has played throughout history.....but with a little fortified "Stank" on it!  Play on players, play on!





1 comment:

  1. I am for anything with a little bit of "STANK" on it! Where do I sign up? I've been told I play a mean flute!!

    ReplyDelete

spill your guts here